The first day was a drive from Lhasa to Gyanste. We saw a lot of birds flying around near the river.

About an hour out of town, our guide knew a family that doesn't mind visitors. We took a look around their house and then sat down for tea.

This is an interior shot of their very decorative home.

A different, but typical Tibetan home we saw off the highway.

This is our landcruiser and our guide, Jack. Hi, Jack!

This is Yamdrok Lake, a highly irregularly shaped lake with what appears to be more shoreline than actual lake. It sits above 14,000 feet elevation.

One of the major features of the lake is that the Tibetans bring very decorated yaks to the shoreline to pose for pictures, as Evan and Angela demonstrate.

The crystal clear waters of the lake.

Our first night on the road was in Gyantse, where we toured this structure called the Kumbum. Each level has elaborate carvings and Buddhist sculptures.

In the temple next door, all these Buddhist texts are stored; consider it a gilt, over-crowded library.

The view from the Kumbum back towards town. On the hilltop (center frame) are the ruins of the fort that protected the town when it was on a major trade route.

The next day, we drove to Shigaste and saw the Tashihunpo monastery.

And, another 100 Km into the middle of nowhere is the Sakya Monastery...

...Where we saw a prayer ceremony going on, with music and chanting and monks in quite fancy hats.

You can't swing a live Yeti around your head in Tibet without hitting a dozen strings of prayer flags. I regret to say I wasn't able to physically verify this proverb, but I'm confident it's true. This plethora of flags are celebrating the highest point on the Friendship Highway.

And then, rising before dawn the next day, we drove to Mt Everest Base Camp, Tibet. As the sun was rising, we stopped at this spot for amazing views of the Himalayas, with Mt. Everest in the center. The light kept changing, causing me to take more and more pictures, because it just kept looking better, and clearer, and more awe-inspiring.

So, we had our guide take this shot of the three of us.

We stopped for tea with some locals.

And then, on to base camp itself (5200m in altitude, that's about 17,000 feet).

It appeared to be a windy day at the summit, but it was perfect at base camp.

This little bird was nearby; I'm not sure if he's a local or a tourist.

The glacier coming off of Everest.

This is Angela posting Facebook pictures from base camp. There is cell phone signal there; horray for modern technology.

One lasts look at The Mountain.

While slowly returning to civilization, we saw this group of two adults and at least 9 kids riding two scooters.

And this foxy fox.

Once we started dropping of the Tibetan plateau, we dropped like a rock through a beautiful canyon. We spent one last night in Tibet, right at the boarder, and the next morning crossed into Nepal.